Fishing in Grand County, Colorado
With 1,000 miles of streams, 1,000 acres of high mountain lakes, and 11,000 acres of reservoirs, Grand County's abundant resources accommodate fishing of all kinds. Enjoy world-class fishing in our gold medal waters that flow throughout Grand County.
Trout and salmon are the most sought after prizes in mountain fishing and all through Grand County, Colorado lurking below the water's surface, you will find mackinaw and kokanee salmon as well as rainbow, brook, German brown, and cutthroat trout. Grand County is the perfect place to dip your line.
There is no end to the various shops, outfitters, guides, and anglers ready to prepare you for the fishing trip of a lifetime in Grand County, Colorado. For more information on the available fishing in each area as well as a list of local vendors, please contact each chamber directly.
A Colorado fishing license is required for every fisherman over 16 years old. Children under 16 don't need a fishing license, but may take only half the legal limit. Licenses are available at the Conoco Gas Station on Highway 34 at the entrance to Grand Lake and other locations throughout the county.
More information about fishing in Grand County from the Bureau of Land Management.
- Lake Granby Fishing Report courtesy of "Fishing with Bernie"
- Grand Lake Fishing Report courtesy of the "Fish Explorer"
- Wolford Mountain Reservoir Fishing Report courtesy of "Fish Explorer"
- Monarch Lake Fishing Report courtesy of "Hook and Bullet"
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the best months to fish in Colorado? The best months to go fishing in Colorado will vary depending on the species of fish you're trying to catch and your style of fishing. Generally speaking, March, April and May offer the best Colorado fly fishing opportunities.
- Is fishing good at Grand Lake Colorado? Grand Lake—the largest natural lake in Colorado and headwaters of the Colorado River—offers world-class fishing in its gold-medal waters. The lake is home to a variety of fish species, including mackinaw (lake trout) and kokanee (sockeye) salmon. You will also find rainbow, brook, German brown, and cutthroat trout in Grand Lake. The lake is regularly stocked with fish by Colorado Parks and Wildlife.
- What kind of fish are in Granby Lake? The lake is stocked with several species of fish, including rainbow trout, cutthroat trout, kokanee salmon, and lake trout. Other fish that can be found in Lake Granby include smallmouth bass, northern pike, and yellow perch.
- What is the best bait for fish in Colorado? Crickets, nightcrawlers, red wigglers, leeches, wax worms and mealworms are all effective for catching panfish, trout or catfish, and they'll occasionally draw nibbles from other species too.
- Is Lake Granby good for fishing? Offering more than 40 miles of shoreline, Lake Granby is a favorite spot for fishing, camping, hiking and boating. Lake Granby, Shadow Mountain Lake and Grand Lake are all within close proximity to town, and offer excellent fishing for the eager angler.
Are you ready to prepare you for the fishing trip of a lifetime in Grand County, Colorado?