Skiing & Snowboarding in Grand County
Home to the legendary Winter Park Resort and the intimate Ski Granby Ranch, Grand County boasts some of Colorado's best skiing. Why? Well, let's just say that since we hug the Continental Divide, we get lots and lots of snow. Come explore our amazing terrain.
- Remote and stunning, Berthoud Pass is a popular backcountry area with numerous stunning trails to enjoy. Second Creek Trail is a short trail that's great for adventurers and directs you toward Broome Hut, one of the most famous remote cabin rentals in Colorado.
- Another great trail to start your backcountry touring is Jim Creek, which begins in Winter Park and ascends into the wilderness.
- For a challenge, try Milners Pass in Rocky Mountain National Park.
- To get cross country skiing tips and list of favored backcountry trails, take a look at our Top Trails.
Whether you're entering the backcountry or skiing at Winter Park Resort, it's always best to have a safety plan. Make sure you wear proper clothing and safety equipment like a helmet, and thoroughly research the area you're planning to go. Be prepared for the "worst case scenario" when you're in the backcountry, because the high altitude causes your body to deplete its resources quickly. That means bringing food, water, clothing, a fire starter, shelter, first aid supplies, and navigation equipment. Your checklist should meet these minimum requirements. Smart backcountry tourists will also know the weather and avalanche conditions where they're headed. If this is all new information, consider taking a class or hiring a guide before you start your off-trail adventures.
Since skiing is Colorado's favorite outdoor sport, there is no shortage of convenient rental establishments. See a list of local vendors.
Ski passes are available to buy directly from any resort upon arrival, but you may want to plan ahead. If you're skiing the whole season, want to visit multiple resorts, or buying for a group several sites, like ColoradoSki.com or EpicPass.com may help you find great deals.
- View our Top 10 Favorite Ski Runs to see the most popular trails for beginners, intermediates, advanced, and expert skiers, such as Lonesome Whistle, Sundance to Buckaroo, Narrow Gauge, and South Forty, respectively.
- Explore our Insider's Guide to Snowboarding in Grand County. Whether you're looking to carve your own trails, perfect your tricks in a terrain park, or simply want to downhill without worry on a groomed trail, Grand County has what you're looking for.
- Find out the Best Places to Learn to Ski or Snowboard. Need some instruction? Grand County has numerous authorities to teach any skill level and any age. Check out our convenient list and start shredding.