What is the Grand County Colorado Tourism Board (GCCTB)?
- Mission Statement: “The Grand County Colorado Tourism Board, through cooperative countywide efforts, will promote and market all tourism resources of Grand County."
- A non-profit organization with representatives appointed by the Grand County Board of Commissioners.
- Organization structure:
- 12 member volunteer Board of Directors:
- Four members from the 3-Lakes District
- Four members from the Mainstem District
- Four members from the Fraser Valley District
- Administration-Outreach-Sales (contractor)
- Marketing (contractor)
- Public Relations (contractor)
- The board operates through funds generated by the Lodging Tax of 1.8%, paid by visitors staying in lodging properties, excluding the “Town of Winter Park”. Grand County taxpayers do not pay for tourism board expenditures. Additional funding comes through grants from the Colorado Tourism Office and website advertising.
- The goal of GCCTB is to drive tourism to Grand County and increase bookings through chambers, lodging properties, activity vendors and other tourism entities.
By the Number
- In 2015, lodging tax collected in Grand County totaled approximately $692,000.
- The GCCTB overall budget for 2015 was $734,728 and the 2016 budget is $944,780. These budgets include reserve spending.
- Tourism directly supports 37% of out of approximately of 7,500 jobs in Grand County. This does not include categories that have some portion attributable to tourism such as real estate, transportation and retail.
- Grants: The board invests in tourism entities through an average of 18-22 grants annually for marketing.
Grand examples include:
- Granby, Hot Sulphur Springs, Grand Lake, Kremmling and Winter Park-Fraser Chamber events and marketing
- Middle Park Fair and Rodeo/Grand County Historical Assoc.
- Grand Arts Council/Constitution Week/Spirit of the Lake Regatta
- Rocky Mountain Repertory Theater/Never Summer Adventure Race
- Headwaters Trails Alliance/Winter Park Rotary Club
- Blues from the Top Festival/The Divide Music Fest
- High Country Stampede Rodeo/Flying Heels Rodeo
- VisitGrandCounty.com is within the top 5 for all chambers and a lead generator for small tourism entities.
- GCCTB 2016 Budget Breakout (Total of $944,780):
- Marketing 48%
- Grants 24%
- Public Relations 11%
- Contingency 10%
- Sales/Outreach 5%
- Administration/Operating 2%
2015 Marketing Numbers
- Marketing efforts influenced nearly 59,000 trips through leisure marketing campaigns in Destination and Local Markets.*
- 59,000 trips resulted in over $40 Million in visitor spending.*
- Advertising Return on Investment = $249 return investment for every $1 spent in media.**
- This leisure marketing generated over 100,000 paid lodging nights.*
- Advertising reached 750,000 households for a cost $0.22 per household aware of Grand County.***
- VisitGrandCounty.com, had the most website visits in the history of site reporting with 267,248 website visits, a 45% increase over 2014.
- 31,497 leads were provided to the five chambers of commerce in 2015
- Grand County reached 36,424 fans on Facebook.
- 28,921 Book Direct leads were referred to lodging partners
*Numbers are from the 2016 Advertising by Strategic Marketing and Research Insights
** Strategic Marketing and Research Insights benchmark for other destinations is $127 ROI.*
***Note, the Strategic Marketing and Research Insights benchmark for other destinations is $0.67, pointing to a very efficient media buy.
2015 Marketing Numbers
- Marketing Budget Highlights:
- Off-line advertising (print & billboard) $95,000
- Online & On-Air $216,000
- Creative/Production $45,000
- Website development (updates/hosting/reporting $29,000
- Research/Administration/plan/Grant proposals and paperwork $47,0000
- The Tourism Board invests $20,000 annually for an online booking portal for the VisitGrandCounty.com website as well as five Chamber websites. All Grand County properties can participate in this FREE booking service.
- Lodging tax revenue
- Sales tax revenue
- Chamber reporting
- Website statistics
- Phone records
- Fulfillment Inquires
- Online marketing (CTR/SEO/PPC/Social)
Overall 2016 budget of $80,500 includes the following:
- Hosting media to area
- Writing, editing and distribution of press releases/pitch
- Membership to SATW (Society of American Travel Writers), PRSA (Public Relations society of America), TMAC (Travel Media Association of Canada) and OWAA (Outdoor Writers Association of America)
- Writing and editing GCCTB quarterly Sky Hi News article
- Attending local, regional and national media events
- Desk-side meetings in varies states and cities
- 2015 Public Relations efforts results in over 360 million impressions valued at $1,865,700 compared to the cost of ad placements
Sales and Outreach
Overall 2016 budget of $41,000 includes the following:
- Hosting of Colorado Welcome Center Staff for a tour of the area
- Familiarization Trip for Front Range wedding planners
- International Travel Operators familiarization tours
- Grand County Weddings & Events Association consumer shows
- Adventure Travel Trade Association regional events
- Lead follow up on individual and group inquiries
Sales & Outreach
Miles Media – Karen Ruby
Grand County Colorado Tourism Board
P.O. Box 131
Granby, CO 80446