Whether you are new to the sport or an experienced operator, the Colorado snowmobiling adventure you seek is here! Bring your own or rent a machine to navigate the scenic backcountry—there are outfitters and service shops throughout the county, and miles of terrain to explore on your own or with a guided tour. With residents trading their cars for snowmobiles in winter, more than 1,000 miles of snowmobiling trails throughout and 146 inches of annual snowfall, it's easy to see why Grand County is the "Snowmobile Capital of Colorado"™.
Trails & Maps
With hot spots like Rabbit Ears Pass in Kremmling, the Arapaho National Forest near Winter Park & Fraser, or the base of Indian Peaks near Granby, you're sure to hit some of the best terrain no matter where you begin. Check out our terrain guide to snowmobiling in Grand County to start planning where you'll ride. Maps of approved snowmobile routes are also available through the Grand County Geographic Information System Department. Popular trails to snowmobile are:
- Buffalo & Rabbit Ears Pass is best suited for unguided intermediate and advanced riders or guided riders of all levels.
- The Grand Lake Town Trail & Stillwater Pass are easy routes to begin your snowmobile touring.
- The USDA Forest Service provides a detailed map of groomed snowmobile routes for Arapahoe National Forest and Roosevelt National Forest.
- Grand Lake Trail Groomers provides a daily groomed trail map of Grand County and the surrounding forests, as well as a list of trail statuses.
Snowmobile Rentals & Outfitters
Our area outfitters are extremely knowledgable and can help you on every step of your trip—their knowledge of equipment and operations is only surpassed by their in-depth study of local terrain and familiarity with changing conditions. You'll be in good hands.
- On The Trails Rentals offers snowmobile rentals just outside Grand Lake, in Winding River Ranch. Services include guided and unguided tours of 130 miles of trails in the Arapahoe National Forest.
- Grand Adventures in Winter Park provides guided and unguided tours, and is the only Grand County snowmobile outfitter who tours the Continental Divide.
- Outside of Kremmling, you'll find High Country Tours, which also provides unguided and guided tours for all skill levels.
- If you're looking to buy, Power World Sports is the premiere outfitter for snowmobiles and other off-road vehicles.
Lessons & Instruction
More concerned with how to ride than where to ride? Check out our beginner's guide to Colorado snowmobiling to learn all the basics like trip preparation, what to wear, things to consider, and where to go.
Safety & Regulations
To operate your personal snowmobile, Colorado Parks & Wildlife has regulations and registration fees, as well as helpful links. Important rules and recommendations are:
- Register your snomobile
- Make sure you know your trail and stick to it
- Take an avalanche course
- Use safety and navigation equipment